How this went down:
-Got some candy (Lifesavers, yes!) from a guy in the Lion’s Club.
-Ate a piece and stuffed the rest of the roll in my favorite purse.
-Became distracted by the day- forgot about the candy.
-Proceeded to leave the favorite purse in the trunk of my car over the weekend.
-A few days later found a seemingly ruined purse, insides all glued together with multi-colored ooze.
Not today, world! Refusing to accept defeat I did a little searching and found this gem of a tutorial. The author decided to re-line her purse with a lighter colored interior to make the contents more visible (Ooo, yeah. I’ll do that too) and, most importantly, showed how she used the old interior as a pattern for the new one. Genius.
This was one of the more rewarding projects I’ve done. The purse seriously looks better than before. The fabric quality is higher, I got to pick out the color myself, and knowing I did it on my own makes me feel like a baller. While I was hacking out the purse’s inside I did have a few concerns, like, “what if I’ve completely ruined this- I should have spent 10 minutes trying to clean it” and “what if I don’t sew the new lining in well enough and it’s all loose and crappy?”. I don’t have a sewing machine so I’d have to hand sew all this (even if I did have one there’s a good chance it would turn out looking a bit Frankensteiny).
-First thing was to cut out the candy coated lining. I wanted to keep the zippers in place and to leave some old fabric with which to attach the new, so I left about an inch of the original material.
-Next I used the sticky insides as a pattern for the two pockets in the purse.
-Pockets were assembled.
-Then I flipped the purse inside out and sewed in(with the smallest stitches I could manage) the little pocket.
-The big pocket had to be sewn in a different way because it was too small to fit over the whole purse while it was inside out. Instead, I turned the purse right side in and attached the big pocket while it was in place. Added bonus: got to pick a pretty maroon-colored string to show off the stitching.
What really made this successful was the type of fabric used for the new lining. The tutorial suggested using a lightweight, tightly woven fabric. I kept this in mind but when I went into the fabric store and told the ladies working there about my project they brought me to exactly what I needed. Thank you seamstress ladies! This project initially took a little figuring out but I’m convinced anyone a decent amount of patience could conquer it. As for me, knowing how doable re-lining a purse is, I may not even wait for candy to melt all over my life to try it again.